08 February 2018

By: Diody Fadullan (Region VI)

Bugasong, Antique- Bugasong is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Antique. The National Household Targeting System-Poverty Reduction (NHTS-PR) of the Department of Social Welfare and Development has accounted 2,494 poor households in Bugasong.

Barangay Bagtason is one of the 27 barangays in the Municipality of Bugasong, Antique. It has a population of 2,086 according to 2014 Barangay Data Survey with 386 households, 162 of who belongs to the NHTS-PR poor and 92 are qualified Pantawid Pamilya beneficiaries as of this date.

When Super Typhoon Yolanda hit the province of Antique on November 8, 2012, Barangay Bagtason was one of the barangays in Bugasong that was hardly affected. The devastation resulted to the damages of the resident’s houses and destruction of agricultural lands. Crops were destroyed by floods.

Through the Sustainable Livelihood Program Super Typhoon Yolanda Reconstruction and Recovery Program, a chance to address the pressing concern for rebuilding of livelihood and lack of opportunities was initiated.

A series of community consultations and data gathering were conducted in the area. This was designed to come up with a resource-based and market driven enterprise. Community was able to identify several projects such as post and pre-harvest equipment, one-stop shop for farming needs, plantation and processing of peanut based products and chicken egg production.

With Egg production industry as one of the industries that was totally affected and has not fully recovered, the idea of engaging into chicken egg laying production was thought of by the community members in consideration of the available resources in the community. Plus, the fact that only 15% of the chicken egg supplies came from the local producers in Bugasong and the remaining 85% are derived from outside municipalities and provinces.

The three (3) affected SEA-Kaunlaran Associations of Brgy. Bagtason merged into one group and decided to put up a chicken egg production facility. This project was conceptualized and established through the DSWD Sustainable Livelihood Program (SLP) in coordination with the Local Government Unit of Bugasong, Antique. The 120 members (95 females and 25 males) of the three (3) SKAs composed of 92 Pantawid Pamilya Beneficiaries and 28 Non-Pantawid participated in the Skills Training on Chicken Egg Laying Production. The starter kits were used to establish the egg production facility while labor cost for construction of poultry house and display area were accessed through Cash for Building Livelihood Assets (CBLA).

The egg production facility has 1, 693 heads of chicken layers, it has at least least 90% efficiency rate in terms of daily egg production. The association hired two (2) caretakers for feeding and maintenance of the facility with monthly salary of Php 5, 000.00 each. Also, the association appointed the president to be the manager and the treasurer as cashier of the enterprise, each of them is being paid Php2, 000.00 monthly. To encourage full participation and provide additional income to all members, the association grouped into five (5) and employed them as collectors of eggs, they are paid at Php8.00/tray on weekly rotational basis.

This microenterprise model project showcases the SLP CDED Strategy on rebuilding of lost livelihood project through merging and scaling up of an existing SLP Association through multi-stakeholder approach. As compared to previous implementation of the program, almost of the projects identified were individually managed and did not last. With that experience, they decided to put up a group-managed enterprise in consideration that it can provide greater opportunities in terms of employment opportunities and income generation.



Lubaida Litigan Manzon, 48 years old, President of



Existing PWD association provided additional asset



Innovation in community stores through digital tec